Total identified microgrid capacity has grown from 4,393 megawatts (MW) in the second quarter of 2014 to more than 12,000 MW today, according to Navigant Research (1) The drivers behind this growth range from the need for greater grid reliability and resiliency, to the need for integrating more renewable energy into the grid, including: distributed solar, wind, biogas, etc. These trends, as well as the need to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and improve the economics of off-grid energy systems, are are compelling utilities, municipal governments, rural and island communities, and other stakeholders to look at microgrids and virtual power plants (VPPs) as key strategies for meeting the world's future energy needs.
The Microgrid Global Innovation Forum 2015, September 16-17, in Barcelona (Spain) will bring together thought leaders, energy executives, and project managers from around the world for focused networking and information sharing concerning the design, implementation and operation of hybrid energy, renewables-centric microgrid systems. The emphasis is on maximizing the effective use of sustainable and distributed energy resources, refining the positive business model for a range of microgrid deployments, and sharing real-world system case studies in both grid-tied and off-grid/remote/island environments.
This industry-open, technology-neutral event is a unique opportunity to interact closely with fellow practitioners and researchers who are pushing the envelope of sustainable energy microgrids for the future network.
The event will focus on:
- Microgrid feasibility, design, and implementation
- Refining the business case for off-grid, remote, and island microgrids
- Solar + storage advances
- Utilization of energy storage for microgrid scenarios
- Advanced battery, fuel cell, and flow battery technologies
- Microgrid power control, management, and integration
- Integrating distributed renewable energy resources into the grid
- Effective project evaluation, implementation, and management
- Regulatory and public policy advances
- Standards and interoperability issues
- Market drivers and opportunities world wide
For further information, please refer to: http://www.microgridinnovation.com/
Looking forward to meeting you in Barcelona!